For this week, I was focused a lot on the combat of the game and getting the gun system to really produce unique feeling guns. Luckily with all the setup that we built these past sprints, implementing new guns was super easy. As a team, we continued to find ways to add character to the game, be it through narrative elements or finding a strong tone for the game we wanted to express.
My actual work this week involved implementing a variety of unique gun traits, from bullet behavior to auto generated gun names. While work has started on auto generating the descriptions, it’s still a little ways off before want to use it in-place of hand written descriptions. I also revamped the texture system to work around a pipeline the team’s artist and I came up with.
We ended up taking an early build to QA that let the players use 5 guns with different traits. I was happy to see that feedback on the gun’s names giving them personality and the game as a whole character.
Of course there isn’t only positives, and as we started to get more and more feedback from testers on the individual gun’s balance, we realized that there would be a great deal of balance concerns to take into account. While we don’t want to fix something outright that isn’t showing signs of breaking, it’s still a nice thing to note going forward as we make this immensely scalable game.
Another great thing that happened this sprint is that we started to get some real art assets in engine. Our team’s artist Mike got around 15 parts into the engine, though sadly after our planned QA time. With that, I was able to really let the gun system flex it’s muscles and mix and match all the parts at random. While there’s still work to do, especially around balance, we’re all excited to see our hard work come to fruition.